Re: gelatin flexibility

FotoDave@aol.com
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:42:48 -0400 (EDT)

wallen@boulder.nist.gov writes:

> I agree with the issue of water retention. Gelatin is pretty flexible as
> long as you don't let it get too dry. However, you don't want to add
> enough honey or sugar so that the film starts having their texture. You'd
> have a honey film with a bit of added gelatin in that case.

Yes, it seems like in order to retain water for flexibility, only glycerin is
needed. I do not understand how the sugar or honey works (I don't doubt that
it works/helps, but I just don't understand how). It is described as
plasticizer but I can't seem to find technical definition for it. If you have
a technical dictionary, could you post the definition of it?

>From watercolor books (which are usually not technical either), the honey as
plasticizer is usually described as something to enhance smoothness or
brushability. Maybe that's the same thing in carbon tissue also?

And I suspect that you are doing/continuing your carbon tests? Let's see some
on the next round of traveling portfolio, shall we? :)

Dave S