Re: Toning

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 11:41:44 -0400

At 99/06/03 11:49 AM -0700, KLIN wrote:
>I have noticed that, when toning POP, the effect is much greater when I
>tone before fixing. Why does the same not hold true for conventional
>developing out papers? Theoretically, shouldn't the toning be much more
>dramatic if I did it between the stop and the fix?

DOP materials, after development, still have the rest of the undeveloped silver
in the emulsion prior to fixing. Most true toners are unselective; i.e., they
will react with both the developed silver and undeveloped silver compound. POP
"toners" usually work by depositing on the developed image only. Still, it
would be worth some experimenting to discover if your "theory" would work for
DOP. In any (insofar as known) uncharted field, experimentation is the only way
to get answers.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net