Re: gelatin flexibility

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 12:00:16 -0400

At 99/06/04 08:28 AM -0600, Wayde Allen wrote: (in part)

>I agree with the issue of water retention. Gelatin is pretty flexible as
>long as you don't let it get too dry. However, you don't want to add
>enough honey or sugar so that the film starts having their texture. You'd
>have a honey film with a bit of added gelatin in that case.

Not to mention great insect attraction. Commercial films use one of the glycols
(common one is ethylene glycol) as a gelatin plasticizer, not just a means of
maintaining moisture content. With the glycol additive, films can be of almost
any thickness without becoming brittle. I plan to do some experimentation with
the glycols I have on hand, plus a poly-glycol. Of course, the humidity here
(even in my humidity-controlled darkroom) is always above 55% so I don't have
many of the problems being aired here. To test, I plan to use a desiccator to
get the humidity down to the 20% range.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net