Re: What does amidol do?

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 11:38:51 -0700

Amidol is a staining developing agent that is more acidic and developes from
the base of the emulsion rather than the top of the emulsion down as most
do.

In theory, and to many photographer's eye in practice, this renders a more
complete development with great depth to the image. While some use this
combination with PMK in their Jobo, it was mostly used successfully in tray
development with big negatives.

Amidol has a tendency to oxidise at it's own rate and with this temperment
is not a good developing agent to use with reel or hangar developing
methods. I attest to that latter method folly having stained some 4X5 negs
using hangars to develop in amidol.

I wish to caution you, when using pyrogalol (pyro) even in solution, it
gives off an invisible gas that can get under your eyelids and severly
damage your eyes and impare eyesight; amidol when breathed into the lungs in
the powder form can cause lung damage. It takes such little effort to be
careful If your tendency is to mix chemicals carefully with your tongue
between your lips, mouth open or if you're prone to agitate trays with your
face close to the surface as in on a high counter top Don't bother with
these chemicals. There's enough modern developers available. Edward Weston
abandoned pryo and amidol for Edwal FG 7 and Selectol/Dektol during the last
ten years of his photographing.

S. Shapiro, Carmel, CA