Pyro negs and silver printing

Gary Miller (gmphotos@earthlink.net)
Sun, 06 Jun 1999 14:52:48 -0700

I have a question about printing pyro developed negatives on Variable
contrast silver paper. What about using filters for printing?What effect
will they have? I remember that Richard and Carl told me that when I was
developing pyro negatives to be printed for Pt/Pd that I should judge the
contrast of the negative by contact printing it onto variable contrast
silver paper with no filtration. I believe that Richard told me that the
staining in the negative would equal about a number zero filter. This makes
sense since you usually want a regularly developed negative for Pt/Pd that
would print fine on a number 0 or 1/2 silver paper. So I am not sure what
to do if I have a pyro developed negative for Pt/Pd and then I print in on
VC paper and it is too contrasty or flat. What do I do to compensate for
this when making a silver print? Do I only have paper developer and
development time to utilize to alter contrast? Thanks for any input.

Gary Miller