Problems printing Ziatype

Nash Computer Technology (nashcom@btinternet.com)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 21:47:06 +0100

Hello

I've printed a few Ziatypes now, and had no problems. However, last week I
bought some Arches HOT paper which I cut up into 10x8" sheets (to print 5x4"
negs).

I printed one print, which came out fine, but then I thought that I would
change the chemical mix by adding more Sodium Tungstate than I've used
before. The resultant print looked awful - it was mottled all over,
including the black borders, almost as though the grain had gone huge.
Although I've not seen "reticulation" of a negative in the flesh, this was
the word that sprang to mind when I saw the print.

I put it down to the cheimal mix I'd used, and packed up for the night.

However, last night I printed another negative using one of the chemical
mixes that have worked fine for me before, and I got the same horrible
effect.

Before I run some more test, I'd appreciate it if you would let me know the
likely causes of this. My initial thoughts are:

    i) One of the chemicals has gone off - but this is unlikely as I printed
one good print in the same session as my first bad one.

    ii) Maybe I coated the wrong side of the paper??? I intend to cut
one of my 10x8 sheets in half, turn one half over then coar and print on
both pieces.

My inital hunch is that it's something to do with the paper, but as I say,
any help would be much appreciated.

David Nash