Collotypes

TSHACK (TSHACK@SILVER-BAYOU.COM)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:39:06 -0700

I'm considering a small attempt at collotype and I'm looking for some particulars, and this is coming from the extremely minimal amount of experience I have at make prints from copper plate etchings.

Is the glass substrate supposed to be the same size as the image?

Should the edges of the glass be beveled so as not to tear the paper?

In "The Keepers of Light" they talk about 1/4" thick glass. This seems somewhat thick for the paper to be pressed down over without some damage. Is the glass shimmed to prevent this? Or is the glass the same size as the paper?

Would some of that glass etching formula be as good as using emery on the plate to give it some "nub"?

Dwight