Re: Color reproduction

Carl Fransman (salto@salto.be)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:30:34 +0100

Concerning colour reproduction: offset is not the problem since I work at
a printing company. We print books at 600 lines per inch and when you put
all the effort into getting that kind of resolution, I can assure you the
same is done for colour accuracy. The problem however is how to get the
colour information in the system: you need some kind of photograph to
scan. These photographs are perfect for live subject but I have yet to
find a decent reproduction of a work of art. This means we scan in the
bad repro and from there on try to work towards the painting (or whatever
else). This sometimes means printing in up to ten colours. We tested
hexachrome and it doesn't work for us (perfect for briliant colours but
there's more to accurate reproduction than just 'please the eye'...)
This keeps my question open.
Somehow the name of the Lippmann process keep popping up. Can these
images be scanned?

Greetings,

Carl Fransman

SALTO