Re: Another source for bulbs

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:11:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Keith Schreiber wrote:

> Regarding peak sensitivity, I may be wrong, but I think output range is at
> least as important for our purposes as output peaks. Supposedly, one of the
> benefits of the new Metal Halide systems being offered by nuArc and others
> over the Mercury Vapor (which is probably what you have in your 26-1K), is
> that its output is much more even, i.e. less spiky, over its range. Indeed,
> just because a particular bulb peaks at 360 or 420 or whatever doesn't mean
> that is the only wavelength at work.

Exactly.

But here's where gum does part company with the others..... Generally gum
is additive, and as I put it, "interactive" -- you eyeball the print so
far and then do what strikes you as needing to be done, adjusting mix
accordingly. With pt-pd, & company, the only "corrective" is another
print, so the "match" of sensitivity & negative is more defining. (My own
inclination in making "another print" is to start with an entirely *other*
premise.)

> No disrespect towards Bill, but faster by itself is not necessarily better
> (though I doubt that is what he means). One qualitative observation I have

I don't think he meant that, or certainly not entirely -- he also found
"cleaner high values," etc. etc.

> .... I think I've done
> enough testing for a while. Now I have a lot of prints to make.

Oh yes....

Judy