Re: contrast with stand development of Forte

arkins@banet.net
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 15:49:10 -0400

Dear Gordon:

Since you are interested in stand development, I thought you might find the
following of interest;

I have an old German formulary with a chapter for "standentwicklung" and
"planliege" development (i.e., stand development. (Sporl & Weiszacker,
Fotografisches Rezeptbuch, Halle, Knapp Verlag, 1941).

The formulas recommended are:

 Hauff's Stand-entwickler

Sodium sulfite (crystalline) 1.5 g
Glycin 1.5 g
Sodium carbonate (cryst.) 25 g
Water to make 1000 ml.

Develop for 30 to 60 m. at 18 deg Centigrade.

Also, a pyrocatechin developer is recommended

Solution A
Sodium sulfite (desiccated) 40g
Pyrocatechin 20g
Water to make 1000ml

Solution B
Potash (potassium carbonate) 120 g
Water to make 1000ml

Working solution 40 cc A plus 40 cc B in 400 cc of water.

Develop 15 to 20 minutes at 18 degrees Centigrade.

(These times might have to be adjusted downwards for modern thin
emulsions.)

Generally, agitation with standentwicklung should be kept to a minimum after
the first minute (once every 3-4 minutes). The buildup of free bromide in
the highlight areas (which restrains development in those areas and
consequently reduces contrast) is enhanced by this limited agitation.
Because stain inducing developers will stain unevenly with this type of
agitation, it is critical that the developer for standentwicklung be a
clean-working one -- glycin being the locus classicus for this
characteristic. (I imagine that the pyrocatechin in the above formula
qualifies because of the large amount of sulfite in the formula, which
inhibits stain formation with pyrocatechin).

Thought you might enjoy experimenting with these choice old potions.

Joe Arkins,
Long Island City, NY