Re: Line-Screen for photogravure?

Walt Goettman (wgoettman@mm.wyeth.com)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:55:57 +1008

> But I did have more success with a random dot screen made on lith
> film from some sort of special non-glare glass by Keith Howard in Canada. It
> was a quite inexpensive alternative ($50?) to the commercial screens. Keith
> can be reached at <howard@gprc.ab.ca> and is a veritable wealth of
> information on printmaking--including non-toxic alternatives to many more
> toxic intaglio techniques.

Keith Howard now makes these screems digitally and are suppoesed to be
the equivalent of 500lpi. See
http://www.mtsu.edu/~art/printmaking/aqscreen.html and
http://www.mtsu.edu/~art/printmaking/htscreen.html. These may have to be
reversed to get the recommended 21/2 or 3 to 1 opaque to clear area
ratio as Deli describes with a lith random dot screen. I have never seen
one.

> It requires enormous pressure, and if one is not careful, rather
> than the smoother tones that can routinely be achieved with fine line
> screens in pt/pd, what one sees with gravure mid-tones and highlights is
> mottled ink.

I think you are referring to "blanket tone" which is from insufficient
pressure.

Does anyone have any experience with a Dove Screen?

Walt