Re: Alt. Gallery in San Francisco??

garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 23:35:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all!
 I'm pleased that there appears to be interest in a collectively operated gallery (besides my own) in San Francisco.

>What about a "test run?" Let's say the space was spruced up a bit: cleaned
>and painted. Lighting could be temporary to keep costs down.
>
>Then a small show could be held there with participants sharing costs or
>maybe the building owner would offer $ gratis. See what attendance is like
>and make a plan afterwards.

> WILLIAM LAVEN PHOTOGRAPHY

I suspect Jay (building owner) will be responsible for painting and fixing up the place and getting it prepared for use. It's possible that since most of the remodel designing is left up to me, I'll get feed back from the collective as to what the floor plan design is desired. I think Jay should provide safe lighting and heating as well. He does want to create some kind of multi-use space in this building and often his ideas are (in my opionion) much less practial than my own. Our history working together has been that many of my ideas have worked out well for him in the past. His main concern is being able to collect rent from a space that till now has been unuseable. If creating this space does not work out for an alternative photography gallery, he still will have a rentable space. If letting us use the space as a gallery will get me more motivated to work on the building... He's all for that too!

>I'm interested. What's the address in SF?
>
>Please notice, I send this off list.
>
>Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA

It's been over a year since I have been in the building... I'll get the address and maybe if I have time I'll go and measure the footage this coming weekend.

>What will the monthly operating costs be?

> Rent
> Utilities
> Cleaning
> Taxes
> Corporation fees

>Also, who will be responsible for being there during open hours. Will you
>have a regular, hired person. If so, what will the cost be? How will you
>reimburse the "gallery director".

>What security will you have? How will you protect the works that are
>currently exhibited?

>Who will be exhibited? Are you going to have membership and some form of
>lottery scheduling? Or are you going to be invitational and have a jury?

>These are important questions in operating a gallery.

>Let me know what your thoughts are. You can send this to the list if you
>would like, when you reply.

Str–m

These are interesting questions, but seem too premature. I don't even know if they are the right questions at this point. But I do know, I chose to not be solely responsible for decision making, operation and on & on. I am interested in working collectively, even though consensus making takes time talking it out...

I'll start posting updates there as they happen and you all can add your ideas and questions there as well.

>Garimo, sounds like a fun idea -- but speaking as your editor, could I
>make a suggestion?
>
>The following line might have been better up top:
>
>> check with list participants to see if there was interest in perhaps
>> doing a gallery as a collective.
>
>good luck (sure could use a remodeller around here... !)
>
>Judy
 What? as an editor did my story not interest you? Do you think I should have given away the ending before draging you through the story? as for remodeling...if you want to cover mileage, I'll commute!

>Garimo
>I teach @ the San Francisco Art Institute.
>This sounds like a great space. Maybe, and I write with a hesitancy, just
>maybe, something could be owrked out so as to get the Institute's presence
>felt downtown.
>How about that?
>I suppose the reason I write you is that not only do I teach there (since
>1969), but that I've done a lot of house repairs myself. Seemed like a
>kinship was there.
>Jack Fulton

Wow! another exciting possibility!

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll try to get the ball rolling, don't expect it to roll real fast, I always am in the middle of several projects at the same time... future comments about this project will be at the gallerytalk list.

bye,bye,
Garimo