Re: part 2, cyanotype question

garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:19:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Maylee,
 I'm not sure why you want to start understanding from a more advanced
starting point rather than at a more basic place and then learn from
there. Before I learned to mix Mike Ware's New Cyanotype, I learned to
use and mix traditional Cyanotype formulas. (Not that I'm suggesting
you should do things as I do...but just offering a possibility) Bea
Nettles, Photo Media Cookbook, called Breaking the Rules is a good
basic place to start. I think after a bunch of experimenting with paper
choices (the yellow stains clear from some papers with no chemical
treatments...) and exposure times I am very close to getting the same
deep blue tones with the traditional chemistry as with the New formula.
 I've starting to print some images small enough to fit on my scanner
so there are a couple of samples of prints with the formula from
Breaking The Rules online at: < http://upnatom.com/cyanotypes.html >
if you'd like to check them out.
 And as lazy as I am, I find the New Cyanotype formula much more time
consuming in mixing and in cost. Sorry I have no ideas about the other
chemicals you asked about as I have never found the need for them as
yet...maybe I will later. Generally I just stick a print in some
hydrogen peroxide, or if it's printed too dark and I want to whiten the
the highlights... I'll occasionally put it in a quick clorox bath. I
lead a simple life...

Garimo