Re: Product liability Issues

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:45:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Paul Lehman wrote:

> This brings up an interesting issue. If key chemicals become a problem
> to acquire, should we not start now investigating for suitable (safer)
> alternatives, or are there alternatives already available?
>
> For example, since dichromates are important for several processes, is
> there any alternative sensitizer?

Advice giving is fraught, but here's some I offer in confidence:

Lay in a pound, or better yet a kilo of silver nitrate (MUCH cheaper that
way, and keeps indefinitely -- I've kept it 20 years), and same for
ammonium dichromate, also much cheaper & also keeps in the dry form
indefinitely (in glass). You'll always be able to get Knox gelatin and gum
arabic. What more could you ask? (So you'll have to melt your old sorority
pin for the toner, but by then we'll have Hazmat on every street corner --
not a problem.)

Judy