Re: Mortensen on Bromoil

arkins@banet.net
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:35:47 -0400

Dear Judy:

    (I'm posting this to the list because I can't find your email address;
pardon the lack of exclusivity!)

    I reviewed my yellowed card index prepared during my Eastman House days
(evidence of a once-active academic life), and found the citation:

"Bromoil Transfer: Factors in Inking" June 1936 Camera Craft at pp. 261-66.
Another article I reviewed circa 1979 was "Bromoil Prerequisites:
Introduction to the Illustrations." Camera Craft, August 1937 at pp. 359-68.

    I noted in one of your postings that you viewed the Mortensen
exhibitionette in Chelsea, and enjoyed your comments with respect thereto.
Here are a few of my thoughts on the show. The Metalchromes were the reason
to see the show, in my opinion, less for the tableaux depicted than for the
beguiling chromatic quality of the process (which is a tribute to
Mortensen's deft hand with it). The process has such an ingratiating,
charming palette -- rather like two stip Technicolor. A number of the 5x7
prints of the better known images in that show, however, (Shrapnel, for
example), were not "originals"; they were cleverly marketed copy prints
Mortensen made from his original prints and sold to aficionados in
portfolios. (These "portfolios" were advertised in Camera Craft in the late
30s, but I can't tell you how many dealers breathlessly push them as "rare
Mortensens.") Some of the prints were evidently contact proofs of no
particular distinction. It's a pity they had none of his bromoils, because
he really had a sublime hand with that medium. (There was a lovely bromoil
transfer of his Torso (on the cover of Monsters and Madonnas) from the PSA
collection in the "After the Photo Secession" show curated by Christian
Peterson from the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. I took a tortured bus ride
from NYC to Worcester, MA to see it, and was glad I did! There was also an
exquisite Arthur Kales bromoil transfer in it, which really had the quality
of a drypoint.

    Speaking of bromoil, may we expect a Post-Factory issue devoted to that
process ere long? I suspect there are a lot of furtive hoppers out in the
hinterlands who would either contribute or read the product with gusto!

    I have an intriguing idea for an article for PF: a meditation on two
autobiographies I read of two once-very-well-known women photographers from
the 1930's -- Mme. Yevonde and Dorothy Wilding -- in conjunction with a
review of two recently published catalogues of their work. They were both
pioneers in so many ways (both were eminently successful commercial
portraitists and salon exhibitors, and Yevonde was a prolific early color
photographer), but their autobios reveal intriguingly different slants on
their time colored by their class differences (Yevonde was from a wealthy
family; Wilding was from a lower-middle class milieu).

Is this idea of interest? Must run; I've got to pull an oil matrix off the
skillet. . .

Regards
Joe Arkins