Re: Density Delta, Flash Versus Sun vis-à-vis artificialultraviolet vs sun

Gary Miller (gmphotos@earthlink.net)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:57:44 -0700

Strom;

We talked a bit about this matter a few months ago, maybe you can check the
archives. I brought it up because I recently had purchased a circa 1970
Calumet C1 8x10 and I noticed that my negatives outdoors were much dense and
had a much more deep pyro stain than my negatives made in the studio under
strobe conditions. The explanation at the time that I thought was probably
the answer for me was that my older lens had shutter speeds that were
drifting. My Ektar 360 has a self-cocking shutter mechanism, one type that
I have been told is prone to drift. So outside I would see if the shutter
speed was say a half a stop off and this could produce the greater density.
With strobe, the shutter speed doesn't matter. There were other
explanations that would cover other situations besides inaccurate lens.

Gary Miller