Re: RH with DO palladium

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 17:23:40 -0400

Dan Koons wrote:

> The question concerning RH and Ziatypes made me wonder about the
> developing out process and RH. Is there a range that palladium prints out
> the best in terms of temp and RH.

Interesting question. While I have not done a controlled experiment
with RH and Ferric Oxalate (FO) and the DOP (develop out process)
process, I have always found the dryer, the better (talking print
quality, not printout). The best location I have printed DOP is in the
desert (DRY). Yes, great prints can be made in other locations and
humidity, but the dryer does seem even better.

The routine for FO and DOP is to dry the coating to "bone dry" before
exposure.

I have also noted (again without controlled experiment) that coating
while cooler works better for FO and DOP. This is why I use a sonic
mister to humidify the paper prior to coating rather than using steam.

I find it is best (for FO and DOP with most papers) to cool humidify,
then coat, then dry, then expose.

The printout will vary with all sorts of things (chem., paper, exposure,
ambient conditions). <<< It is only useful for evaluation purposes
after a great amount of experience and understanding. >>> Even though I
study the printout from every print I make, I only seldomly will make
adjustments based on it. A full finished test print has always been
more useful, but this is my preference.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/