Re: Bulbs

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 03 Jul 1999 13:54:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Roger Hein wrote:

> On another note -
>
> Units using 'BL(B)' bulbs often recommend that a 'cooling fan' be used
> to keep the bulbs below a temp of 100F to maintain output. Do the super
> actinics also benefit from this? I'm putting together another 'box' and
> was wondering if I should install a cooling fan in it too.

The heat is a function of the ballasts, not the bulbs -- also the light
table construction. If you use digital ballasts, no heat, or none to speak
of, and if your "box" is open on 2 sides, heat should not/may not (mine is
not) be a problem... In my experience a fan is just more noise, wind &
clutter.

Judy