RE: preservative for gum arabic (fwd)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 03 Jul 1999 22:46:47 -0400 (EDT)

There seems to have been some misunderstanding about my comments on gum
arabic preservatives, so let me clarify.

Firstly, my inclusion of mercury was not intended to suggest you go out
and get some mercury.... I was being Ironic. It's hot here in NYC.

Secondly, someone less heat afflicted than I reminded me of my comments in
P-F #1, where I recommended 2 drops per oz of formaldehyde or phenol,
and noted that my tests of salicylic acid didn't work well.

But I myself mostly use the commercial lithographers 14 degrees baume
already preserved -- in my experience that's the best. (The Philben is
best of the best, BTW.) But if you're making home made, and have
formaldehyde, 2 drops per ounce isn't going to call out the chemistry
police, no fumes, honest, & the gum will thus keep forever. If you
don't have formaldehyde, & can't borrow a few drops, thymol may well be
next choice -- it's recommended and worked fine when I used it, though I
haven't done comparison tests.

I've never used glyoxal for gum arabic and was speculating, assuming,
thinking it should, might also work...

Is that perfectly clear, *now* ???

Judy