Re: laser vs inkjet

Valburg (lkv1@psu.edu)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 21:07:50 -0400

At 06:45 PM 7/10/99 -0400, Judy wrote:

>The main consideration remaining is the point that if you're using all
>colors some of them can have uneven effects with the UV light, giving
>light spots where not planned... (I'll be doing negatives). That's
>certainly a question, I guess to be trial and errored... On just
>plain paper the black alone gives the density I need for gum.

One other thing to consider is the availability of quad monochrome inksets
for the epsons (or for re-filling other brands). These are ink cartridges
loaded with black ink in each reservoir, but three of the four are diluted
with a clear medium, at 25%, 50%, and 75% of full density. These allow
printing with a smoother scale (many more discrete levels of gray) and much
less visible dithering. MIS Supply and Lyson are producing them.
Incidentally, these inks are reputed to be much more archivally stable than
conventional inksets.

Best,
Mitch Valburg