Re: laser vs inkjet

Mary Pat McNally (mcnally@psfc.mit.edu)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 08:39:23 -0400

>We had this discussion, sort of, last year, but it ended kind of hanging,
>as did I. Now I want to buy a printer that can do large size digital
>negatives, & seek info.
>
>Epson Stylus Color 1520 will do 11x17 inches "and larger" I'm told, up to
>1440 dpi. And costs only about $500. The cartridges don't last long, but
>I'm not planning high production. My hesitation is that the inkjet "pixel"
>is, (as seen in the limited tests I've run from inkjet negs) not as
>versatile and attractive (in my opinion) for printing gum as the dot from
>the laser -- the "rosette." At least as found so far.
>
>There's also the nuisance of the thing getting dried up or whatever it
>does if you don't run it every week, then has to be sent back to factory
>(or so I was told, maybe that's not true) for overhaul.
>
>There's an 11 x17 laser printer for about $1000.... Nice laser dot, and it
>can be varied from coarse graphic "pattern" of Adobe Photo Shop to very
>fine resolution, but...
>
>I haven't seen that printer yet, but I suspect it's bigger & heavier, so
>harder to accomodate than the Epson... Also, I gather that by printing
>the colors all together the inkjet can make a denser negative.... plus
>the inkjet on *paper* waxes without smearing. The laser negative on paper
>has problems -- must be very carefully waxed and even then can offset.
>
>In the interval since we talked about this, things may have changed. Also
>I expect to learn more in the actual halls of commerce... but I figure
>that the more I ask now the less I'll kick myself later. (And speaking of
>self-kicking, I got the *expensive* Polaroid Scanner, which is so
>splendidly engineered that it is impossible to insert and scan a slide
>perfectly straight, ie, not tilted one way or the other. Perfectly
>maddening.)
>
>I know there are folks on the list who swear by Alps... what kind of dot
>does that do? (Or are you all in Santa Fe...?)
>
>Thanks in advance for any knowledge or advice,
>
>Judy

Epson has a new "1200" large photo printer that is the same price as the
1520. It has the smaller dot technology and prints up to 13 x22 or larger
I can't remember. The advantage of the 1520 is that you can install
Postscript capabilities. I have purchased the 1200 and it prints out
photos amazingly well. I haven't got around to making any negatives for gum
yet. Mary Pat