SS Toner Big Mistake

Joao Ribeiro (jribeiro@greco.com.br)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:43:23 -0300

Hi Judy,

Guess what?
I checked the labels on the bottles and my chemical supplier didn't sell me
hydrazine sulfate but hydroxylamine sulfate, so I didn't prepare SS2 but the HS3
with double amount of NaOH!

> Joao, you've lost me. What is "gratify color."??

The graffiti (sorry for the error) color is like pewter, metallic, reflective but
dark.

> Right, if it's a print that hasn't yet been fixed, you put it directly in
> the toner and the white parts plate out -- you then get a black photograph
> on a silver background.

So, with this formula, I would get a black image on a metallic dark background. It
is very different from luminos silver foil.Will SS2 toner look like luminos
silverfoil when done with an unfixed picture?

> Sometimes you don't see the plating until it's dry. Did you try drying it
> after the first toning?

No I haven't dried it after the first toning, may be it worked and I haven't
noticed.

> Assuming all your solutions were OK, I don't know
> why it took 3 times. My experience was that the only time I had to do it
> more than once was when I simply screwed up the first time, usually trying
> to use exhausted toner. What dilution of toner did you use? Did you bleach
> completely the first time?

Yes, bleached completely, but I think that not drying was the problem.

> I can't give an explanation.... I found one day by trying it that adding
> some used Dektol to the toner seemed to make it tone more smoothly. Maybe
> there was some silver in the Dektol which aided physical development?
> (That's what Jolly says helps in Sabatier.)

I tried again with dektol added, not an used one but a fresh one. I added 25% of
the volume in working strength dektol and it helped a lot! Easy plating.

> And they stayed purple when the print was dry? That's nice!

Yes, the slightly purple tones remained after dried.I tried the toner on a real
picture this time and you are right, small pictures look much better than big ones.
With this dark metallic color I am planing to do details of bronze sculptures like
hands etc., printed no larger then 5x7 toned this way. Preliminary tests look
promising.
I'll keep you posted

Joao