contrast filter/ was grain filter

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:58:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Dan Koons wrote:

> At 10:50 AM 7/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Those grain reduction filters work too well. I photographed a wheat field
> and
> >the whole thing vanished :-)
> >
> >David
> >
> Can anyone tell me the filter factor to erase jet trails;) dan
> Dan Koons

I take it you guys are having some fun... but as an urban realist I look
for the filter that ADDS power lines...

However, speaking of filters, I came across mention of the Tiffen High
Contrast filter -- in an otherwise unsatisfactory article on scanning in
Photo Techniques (in the worst failing of tech articles, it belabors the
easy part ad infinitum, does once over the complicated part too lightly).
But it seems there really is a filter to reduce contrast in the taking.
Sounds like something to have -- does anyone know more about it? (Would
certainly solve a lot of large neg problems before they happen, wouldn't
you say?)

Judy