Re: question about making platinum salt

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:13:38 -0400

Lukas Werth wrote:
> I have an opportunity to get here in Germany for a decent price
> chloroplatinic acid, H2PtCl6.6H20. Is it possible - and feasible - to
> produce the platinum salt needed for prints, K2PtCl4 ...

I believe that you will find that the production of K2PtCl4 will also
involve the use of aqua regia. Hopefully you've read the previous
discussions involving gold chloride.

The two cents I would like to throw in is that while K2PtCl4 is the
double salt of platinum that is desired, it is very easy to also get
K2PtCl6 along with its production. This later salt is not very soluble
in water and ends up as a precipitant which may cause problems such as
specks in the print. At the least it will render some of the expensive
platinum unusable by tying it up in this insoluble sludge. Companies
like Engelhard go to great expense to produce a pure product. And
although I have no doubt that K2PtCl4 can be produced by others, I have
not to this day found a cheaper, purer, easier to obtain source of
K2PtCl4 (or PdCl2) than Engelhard.

I don't work for them. And, I don't get any commission. The following
is contact information from their 1985 catalog.

Engelhard Corporation
Worldwide Headquarters
Specialty Chemicals Division
Catalyst Catalog Sales