Jam and obviously off-topic..

Cor Breukel (cor@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:28:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Wayde wrote:

> from the air. A little water, sugar, and the added food value of the
> fruit and pectin makes a nice culture medium for mold growth on the
> exposed surface even though the bulk of the jelly is relatively well
> preserved.

..ah this brings back memories of the jam my grandmother made, although
sealed with parrafin, we still had to dig out the molds first before
reaching the excellent stuff.. (another memory: my grand mother used to
make red berry sauce, and stored it in empty and cleaned (cooked with
soda) beer bottles; to prevent microbiolgy creatures she had this "sulpher
fuse", it was slow burning, giving of sulphur fumes and it was held in the
neck of the bottle..)

Cor