I'm Blue Over My Cyanotype!

Liam Lawless (LiamLawless@compuserve.com)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:17:56 -0400

Hi Siouxsan,

A couple of things for you to consider, though I don't have a lot of
experience with cyanotype. Since your A solution started to turn blue
before even mixing with the B, sounds to me like contamination of some
sort. If this seems unlikely, it could be the start of mould growth in the
solution. About 2ml of a 2% alcoholic solution of thymol in your 280ml of
A should prevent that.

The difference between green and brown ferric amm. citrate is that the
brown has a higher iron content. Both can be used for cyanotype and I
don't know what difference this makes, but I am guessing that the green
might yield a faster sensitiser. If so, it may be that your new sensitiser
is actually OK but your existing negs are too thin and/or soft for it,
which which could explain why it's also giving foggy results.

Hope you'll report back when you trace the problem....

Liam