Re: I'm Blue Over My Cyanotype!

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 01:19:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Bill_Lucas wrote:

> ... It somewhat relieves me to hear that you have had some
> trouble too! First off, what do you mean that the fe am cit (green) was
> bad upon opening the jar. Was it a visual thing, even before you added
> water and tried printing?

It was a few years ago & I don't remember all details, but the moment the
A&B were combined, it turned dark blue. I don't think our troubles were
exactly the same, but some generalisations might be relevant:

Ferric ammonium citrate is, according to Mike Ware, an "ill-characterized
substance", meaning (& I hope I got this right) it's sort of a
constellation of chemicals with no clear precise "make it this way, get
just that." Rather it's subject to variations by whims unknown. Usually
this matters little in our making of cyanotypes, but may, on occasion,
matter much. That was one reason Ware said he devised the New Cyanotype,
based on -- do I remember correctly? Ferric ammonium oxalate?, well, on
something else.

My own experience with cyano is that certain details are NOT constant. For
instance, I used to try to get students to pin down a few variables, like
the keeping quality on paper, but their tests -- AND my own -- were all
over the map. I attributed that to paper differences and/or bad work
habits, but in time I came to suspect hidden variables. Some things
ALWAYS worked one way (like heat drying always cost speed and contrast),
but time on paper was quixotic.

> I did start off with new jars of the fe am cit
> green and brown. The brown as I said is what I have experience with and it
> did look different in color, but not enough for me to initially be
> concerned, since it was from the same chemical company (Sigma). I assumed
> that all raw chemicals coming from a company that supplies big-time labs
> had to be consistent. I did call them when I started getting my bad

The phenomena you describe are unlike any I've seen, but for what it's
worth, at this point I suggest:

1. prayer.

2. Another source entirely. I've found a bad batch of chemicals from a
given supplier (& I've had that with a couple of suppliers & a couple of
chemicals *including* Sigma and Fluka for the ferric ammonium citrate)
means that the ENTIRE shipment they received was bad. Until they run out
of it, it will be useless for you. I suspect also that a) they lie & tell
you no one else complained, b) other uses are different from yours & may
not have your problem, c) the person you talk to on the phone doesn't have
a clue -- or all of the above. So you might call, for instance, Artcraft
(1/800-682-1730, Fax 518/355-9121) and start again with *both* the fe am
cit and the potassium ferricyanide.

3. That's because the one time our prints were too light turned out to be
from contaminated or "off" k ferricyanide. Are the crystals "ruby red"?
The books say they are, though usually there's a hefty sprinkling of
orange too, which is still OK. But one year when our prints came out very
pale, the school supply was all orange with many yellow lumps. Kodak's
chem division swore that was impossible and that it was all shipped in
sealed jars, which (of 8 stores I checked over the next months) not a
SINGLE one was ! We got a pound from another supplier & instant cure.

4. Possibly your problems are exacerbated by a change in paper or water...
both of which are variables. Just for the heck of it you might call the
water department & ask about recent creativity at the pump house (that's
also seasonal).

5. Until you iron (!) this out, try keeping "time on paper" constant (but
you knew that).

6. On the other hand, if you've been getting adequate control exposing by
sunlight, in Michigan yet, there may not be much I can tell you. But I
have read that the green crystals are lots faster than the brown (which
was why they were adapted even while still quite a bit costlier), so
Liam's thought that you could be over-exposing the green sounds likely....
especially since going light blue in developing sounds like solarizing ...
though that usually recovers.

7. However if your wash water turns quite blue, that suggests the
washing off of emulsion... if so, that can be from a non-absorbent paper
(did a batch come in with added size? Try it on a piece of typing paper,
if you didn't already) or heat drying the emulsion, which leaves it on
the top as a skin, which washes away.

Good luck -- & let us know when you solve the mystery...

Judy

> ... results, but they claim no changes were made. I then got the green
from