Re: VAULT 'EM, DON'T BURN 'EM

Kurt Tomcala (camera@primenet.com)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:50:34 -0700

I do understand your meaning in all this, but there are so many issues it
brings up to say the least. Owning an Ansel Adams print or an 8x10 film
holder? Well if it was not a print done when Ansel was alive with his
signature the answer is quite easy. The film holder, and it would be kept
for special images at that. As far as saving the negatives so people can
share your vision. Well that is part of why I am troubled with this in the
first place. My point is the negative is not your vision at all. Just
another tool to get to your vision, the PRINT. The negative is information
that you use to create that image with. Just like the developer you use or
the lens you choose. All the things that go into the final print the artist
included. All these things influence the way that final print looks. I do
agree in many cases where the artist was unknown at the time that it is very
important and fullfilling to see thier work even in a diminished way. This
debate has gone on and on in the photographic arts for years. And I am sure
just like the rest of history it will repeat itself over and over for many
more to come. So I will leave it with, it is a personal choice.

A wonderful day to you all,

Kurt