Re: Paper survey - was: Paper changes

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 02:19:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Sam Wang wrote:

> Judy,
>
> Would it be possible for you to gather information about what papers
> people find to work well with what process, and post the results in
> your Post Factory World Journal? Such information will be useful to
> all of us, and will need to be updated at least once a year. Posting
> the results here would be great as well.

Sam, I've had thoughts of that and actually plan to do something along
those lines, but the topic is fraught. Just reading this list it becomes
plain that one person's paper "meat" is the next one's poison. How often
has someone said their favorite paper for pt/pd is, say, Bristol Cream,
and someone else chimes in that they could not get one decent print on it.

I myself can't bear BFK for cyanotype, Bob Schramm swears by it. I've
found BFK foolproof for gum & someone else a while back said it absolutely
did not work for him. Etc. etc.

David Aldera has promised to do an article on paper generally, as well as
recent changes -- he really is a walking encyclopedia -- I haven't kept
after him on it because each issue til now has been so overstuffed. Maybe
for #4... In the interime I keep a "paper" file, with future roundup in
mind. (Yours is Rives Heavyweight, wasn't it? Or is that just Teresa
VanHatten?) Paper info also goes in any "monograph." I also appreciate the
suggestion -- helps focus the mind, or whatever it is...

> I remember Strathmore changed their 500 papers in the early to mid
> 80s (I still have a batch) which made it virtually useless for any of
> the alt processes. I suspect the too strong buffering in order to be
> "acid-free" was at least part of the culprit - many alt processes
> prefer a slightly acidic environment. Another is uneven sizing, which
> gives you blotchy prints, no matter how carefully you coat. I did not
> have anyone else to discuss back then, and it was frustrating. Now,
> with this list and your journal, it would be great to be able to
> share such info.

You mean you still have some of the "bad" Strathmore? How frustrating. Do
you suppose a soak in a slightly acid bath might possibly "cure" it?

Judy