Re: What the ???/Art school

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 14:04:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Gary Miller wrote:

> photography and towards mixed media, and the process should be at the
> highest level of execution. There is nothing wrong with that, but when in
> the photography realm I tend towards purer, straight photography, not always
> in image, but in technical mastery, visual mastery, and artist expression.

What is "the highest level of execution" ? It can be the "lowest." Take
for instance the "drawing" of Dubuffet. Take the photography of the
10-year old Lartigue. Take, as well, some photography you (Gary) consider
"highest", I consider schlock. Take the Diana camera and all kinds of
anti-"art" expressions. Art that is innovative or exploratory, not a
"received vision," may require a higher "visual mastery."

In other words, those *rules* are personal preference. That we must
respect. But not necessarily agree.

Judy