Re: Solarizations with Platine and Pt

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:29:37 -0400

Gary Miller wrote:
> ... what is the general opinion on how long to let the sensitizer soak
> into the paper, Platine for example, after coating and before drying.

I do not know. I generally find it take about 3 minutes to blow dry a
coating either with heat or without. I brush the coating onto and into
the paper as my experience tells me. I guess when the pull of the brush
feels a certain way, I stop.

Some papers have to wait for gloss to go matte (such as Bienfang 360);
some papers get hit immediately with air (such as Crane's Parchment or
now "Cover 90" [AKA platinotype] as has been mentioned.) Platine
behaves a lot like the Crane's for DOP and wildly different for POP.
With POP I will feel the coating to check when it becomes smooth (non
sticky). For DOP it just gets it - "bone dry".

The real factor in how deep the chemistry goes into the paper is
probably more related to the sizing. And it seems to not mater so much
as to how deep it goes, as to if it goes all the way through. Any
effects of depth into the paper are probably hidden by the effects of
the topography of the paper fibers.

The important thing is to do it the same way every time so there's
consistent, reproducible results.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/