Making Digital Negatives

Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 06:35:44 -0700

Dear List,

I recently have finished my first pass through Dan Burkholder's latest
edition of Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing. The process was
tedious and as you might imagine, generated as many if not more questions
than it answered. I want to emphasize that as I read, my thoughts were
pointing to making my negatives on an Epson printer and not on an
Imagesetter, which the book implies is the way to go. I may have to
rethink this part of my planning - in any case while I have created and
waxed (seemingly successfully) several negatives, I have yet to make my
first print. At this stage, I am zeroing in on the proper negative making
steps for PD/PT in particular, which as I understand it may/will vary from
negative to negative.

As I read/tested I developed a document that I use for the purpose of
synopsis. It contains some points of specific interest, a list of do's and
don'ts, particularly a procedural outline and a list of questions that
remain - all of which point to various parts of the book and/or to
Photoshop. My reason for preparing this piece is to offer this document to
anyone who wants a copy.

I can send it to the list at large as part of a message in standard text (4
pages +/-) or if prefered as an RTF file to any individual.

Many thanks,

Nick