Mainstream photo sources

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:55:26 -0400 (EDT)

Dear List,

I 'm asked by my daughter to advise on sources for a newcomer to
mainstream photography. It seems that an editor at her publication is
preparing an advisory on reliable, respected sources in a variety of
fields and wisely realises (unlike some editors !) that photography is a
specialty. I hate to admit my own shortcomings in *Mainstream* (my impulse
is to write simply "sucks" after that word, but I'm improving at impulse
control). However, the cumulative input of "the list" in matters of this
sort tends to be impeccable, so I impose on the collective good nature
with this off-topic request.

We figured out these categories:

***An introductory book, a "text," either one each for black & white and
color, or one for both.

Of what's in print now, my own recommendation for black & white would be
"A Short Course in Photography" by Barbara London & Jim Stone (Harper
Collins College). However, I hesitate to cite it without outside
confirmation, because (I confess) I only read the first two chapters.

For a text on color or b&w and color, I hope for suggestions.

***Web sites. (What's a web site?) Remember, this is for mainstream
beginners, not platinum printers. Any suggestions? Perhaps also there's a
user group or e-mail "list" for general mainstream that should be
mentioned.

***Magazines.

I can recommend Photo Techniques for mainstream how-to, but think not much
else remains in print. For buying/choosing equipment, what's still out
there? Popular Photography? Anything else not entirely corrupted by
advertisers? Or perhaps there's a reliable consumer guidebook on
equipment? What would be the best way to, for instance, compare features
of cameras?

***Photography Workshops (in the US)

Here I would recommend ICP and the Maine Photographic Workshops, as
reliable and mainstream. What others of reasonable scope (as opposed to
specialties) could be included? What about Visual Studies Workshops in
Rochester? I know they are excellent, but may be mostly advanced or "art"
media (?)

***Colleges / universities with strong photography departments

I would recommend Pratt BFA in photography, also MFA. And SVA for sure (Hi
John, hi Jerry!). But this is a national magazine. What else? RISD? San
Francisco School of Art? Art Institute of Chicago? New Mexico ? Arizona ?
(Which Arizona?) Of course "best" is a treacherous category, but
suggestions are still hoped for.

The readers of the magazine (Brill's Content) are educated and literate,
so might not take well to [name deleted], but again, purpose of the
feature is to cite classic, authoritative sources for newbies.

Thanks in advance.... perhaps replies should be offlist, although I'll
post a summary upon request ...

Judy