Cyanotype Problem

From: Keith Gerling (kgerling@ameritech.net)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 21:24:57 /etc/localtime

Last week, several list members responded with advice regarding my dilemma:
the Ware cyanotype solution was reacting poorly to being placed upon sized
BFK. The general consensus was that I should size the paper AFTER
developing the cyanotype in order to proceed with adding layers of gum.
This I have done, and I would like to report the unfavorable results: Soon
after being placed a lukewarm tray of Knox gelatin and water, the cyanotype
begins to fade to less than one half of its original intensity. One
interesting item, though, is that this phenomenon only occurs on the IMAGE
part of the paper - the brush markings around the image remain as blue and
vibrant as ever. Oh well! I've retreated back to Pthalo Blue gum for my
first coat. So much for my labor-saving experiment!