Digiatal success

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 18:46:06 /etc/localtime

Dan,

Sorry if I mislead you about the "any size" - my words *were* carefully
chosen. Clearly there is a point in the process when continuous tone is
lost. However, you must realize that no digital image, and especially
imagesetter images, will stand up to microscopic scrutiny. That kind of
assessment will inevitibly produce differences from the original, just as
most films can/will produce differences between the original scene and the
resulting image. These differences have different relavance between one
photographer and the next - I can't say that I might not want to produce
an image of "any size", if the chosen process produces a desired result.

That being said, I have sent a post to Carl Volk asking for clarification of
the points (valid points) that you have made. I will forward his reply.