Re: 300 lpi @ 3600 dpi

From: Tom Sobota (TSOBOTA@teleline.es)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 16:43:39 /etc/localtime

Dave,

Being a software consultant/programmer, I know (or hope to know ;-) what
DPI and other digital terms mean.

LPI, however, still eludes me somewhat. You speak about LPI in graphics
arts terms, the halftone ruling being specified in these units.

However, I have also seen lines-per-inch as a unit for specifying the
resolving power of a lens or film. In this context, a very fine pattern of
alternate black and white lines is photographed at different magnifications
using the lens or the emulsion being analyzed.

So I always thought, perhaps wrongly, that LPI and DPI are more or less
equivalent, i.e., the maximum resolving power of a material/process/equipment.

But now it rather seems to me that the term LPI is context- dependent.

Would you or somebody care to comment on this?

Thanks.
Tom

A 09.40 14/12/99 -0800, ha escrito:
>A service bureau should be knowledgeable enough in graphic arts
terminology to
>not confuse dpi and lpi. The output resolution of an imagesetter is specified
>in "DPI" or "dots per inch". The halftone screen ruling is specified in "LPI"
>or "lines per inch". For the most part, these are mutually exclusive of each
>other. The more important one for digital negatives is the LPI. This is the
>frequency of the screening used to produce your image,

Tom Sobota
tsobota@teleline.es
Madrid, Espaņa