Gray: Carl, immagesetter, and Lightjet question.

From: dean kansky (dkansky@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 17:12:14 /etc/localtime

Because
>our software packages generally work with 8 bits (so does PostScript,
>which is the native language of most imagesetters), 256 levels of gray can
>be represented, this means your supercell should be 16 by 16 dots.
>
>The obtainable 256 graylevels are theoretical. There's always some loss,

Forgive this newbie question, but I made photograms of african masks. To
developer, I painted on developer of all strengths (I also used developer
that was meant for processing machines) with paint brushes of dif. sizes.
The result is that instead of a standard B&W photogram (with the mask being
white), the mask looks painted. The strokes are in every shade of gray
imaginable. I never knew there were so many grays. (The shades run from an
almost black-gray through a almost pure white)

Given this, and the "loss of gray tones" Carl spoke of, will imagesetter do
the job? I notice someone spoke about gray dots with Lightjet 5000. Would
this better? Or is all of this not at issue and not on point?