Re: Dissolving selenium powder in Sodium Sulfite

From: stan johnson (sjohnson@gwi.net)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 05:05:01 /etc/localtime

** Reply to note from Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com> Wed, 15 Dec
1999 18:01:40 -0500 (EST)
> One difference I suspect is that my formula has much less selenium. I
> suspect yours may have too much.
>
> Here are the formulas I have, and which, incidentally were reprinted on
> page 27 of Post-Factory Issue #3 (along with a dozens of others!).
>
> T-55 is a DIRECT TONER
>
> Dissolve 25 g sodium sulfite anydrous in 100 ml hot water. Add 1
> (ONE) g selenium powder and boil til dissolved.

This would be the same as about 6 grams of Se in 1000mL (1 liter, 1L)
of solution. [Ignoring the volume contributed by the dissolved solids,
which would be a reasonably minor correction.] Thus 5 grams per L is
actually less than Judy's proportion, or at least not significantly different.

On another point, an earlier note in the thread mentioned a recipe by
Clerc, "Sodium selenosulphate may be obtained by dissolving 260 gr. of
powdered selenium in 20 oz. (30 grm. in 1,000 c.c.) of a warm 20 per
cent solution of anhydrous sodium sulphite."

I suspect that Clerc was specifying the use of 260 grains, not 260
grams. 260 gr. [grains] = 16.9 g [grams] approximately. 20 oz. of solution
= 1.18 L approximately, for a proportion of about 16 g/L. About three
times Judy's recipe's proportions. Doubtless the amount of sulfite etc.
will influence the amount that will react/dissolve.

stan

--
Stan Johnson
sjohnson@gwi.net