Re: Silver remaining in rinse water

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 22:32:08 /etc/localtime

At 05:04 PM 12/21/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone have any data or can cite a source for the amount (%) of
>silver still remaining in a print or film which would leach or dislodge
>during the wash cycle? I need to accommodate the safety folks on campus,
>they've come up with the notion there is sufficient silver in the rinse
>water to necessitate a system of recovery or abatement.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>thanks
>
>--
>Darryl Baird

  You may be able to get useful numbers from Kodak's customer service
department. In the US its at 1 800 242 2424 The fixing process converts
the undeveloped silver halide into a water soluable form. Some of it comes
out in the fixing bath and some of it comes out in washing. There is very
little if any metallic silver in the wash water. For both film and paper
most of the silver complexes formed by the fixer come out in the first few
minutes of washing.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.