Re: sepia bleach without toner

Tadeuz Jalocha (tjalocha@puc.cl)
Sun, 02 Nov 1997 01:36:18 -0400

Janet,

Sorry, but a bleached picture will change with time.
A bleach transforms the metallic silver in different silver compounds
like silver bromide, silver cloride, even siver iodide. All these
compounds are light sensitive and will turn darker as they age.
I suppose you like the light yellow highlight's you get when you bleach
partially. These yellow highlights are actually extremely small metallic
silver particles that start to appear inmediately when the silver
halides are formed. Silver halides are actually almost white in pure
form.
The sad point is, that fixing won't help either, because fixing
dissolves these yellows, resulting a black image without highlight's and
lowered d-max.
You can try following:
Prepare a sepia redeveloper with almost only Thicarbamide and very
little of a weak alkali like carbonate or even a borax-boric acid mix to
control the PH.
If you redevelop your bleached print in this redeveloper you will get
lighter highlits with full detail than leaving the picture darken on his
own. Don't expect to obtain pleasing results inmediately!
I notticed too an amazing temperature dependence of the obtained final
tone. You can vary the tone greatly with small changes in temperature.
Time does'nt have as much influence as temp.
I reccomend you to use a rather cool redeveloping bath, and raise the
wash water temperature until you get pleasing results. (You don't see
the result until you wash, but you can wash and lace it again in the
redevelop as many times you want.)
If you got too brown results using this redevelop, try fix, it may
lighten up your image some, depending if all the silverhalides were
converted to the stable Silver sulfide or not.
Simple stop has too a influence in the image tone, making it a little
more yellow.

It seems, that the lighter than undeveloped results you can obtain with
a high Tiocarbamide redevelop are due it's capability to dissolve the
halides. So don't overdo this Thiocarbamide idea.

Tadeuz