Re: why harden gelatin sizing?

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 07:48:16 -0500

<< I guess the authors didn't realize that damage to gelatin can occur
not only during wet processing but can also occur later, maybe even
years later ....>>

Dave, this is a good point and applies to the current tendency not to
use hardeners on original in-camera films, relying on the hardeners
built into the film by the manufacturer. This may work ok for most folks
making enlargements in the usual way, but for anyone making *contact
prints* , silver or alt., from the original negatives, I highly
recommend a good strong dose of hardening fixer. Contact printing is no
longer the norm, and not what manufacturers have in mind for the service
the negs will be put to.---Carl