RE: sepia bleach without toner

Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 09:27:35 -0500

Janet and company-

RE: bleaching without redeveloping -

Years ago, I used to use straight Pot Ferr and a bamboo brush to lighten
small areas of a print - this action seemed dependent upon the fix to
activate the bleaching action. I fixed and cleared the prints as usual and
never saw a problem. (Didn't Ansel Adams advocate a slight pot ferr bleach
follwed by selenium toning for *all* prints?!?

RE: thiocarbimide redevelopers -

If it is the yellowish color you find attractive I suggest you search the
archive for the formulas I have posted over the past couple of years which
utilize thiocarbimide rather than sodium sulfide as a redeveloper.
Thiocarbimide is a two part redeveloper and one can vary the ratios of A to
B to achieve a broad range of sepia coloration rangng from very yellow
sepia to purple sepia. A most useful option! Plus it does not have the
offensive odor that the sulfide redevelopers have. However, that being
said, thiocarbimide has been suspected to cause cancer in California:
you're not in California are you?!?

Good luck -

Jonathan Bailey
St. George, Maine