Re: why harden gelatin sizing?

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 11:55:27 -0500

Wayde Allen wrote:

  It isn't clear to me that the dry gelatin
> film is greatly affected by this "hardening". Is that really true or just
> an assumption?

It's real, Wayde. For some reason the well water here in western
Connecticut doesn't get along with the built-in hardeners in either film
or silver-gelatin papers. Unhardened emulsion isn't just easy to scratch
when wet, it's also fragile after drying. You can even see the
difference between hardened and unhardened film--catches/reflects light
differently. I'd expect the difference to be less where the unhardened
emulsion is normal, but the hardening action is clearly there in the dry
film or paper. Of course I have no idea if this relates to the hardening
of gum materials.---Carl