RE: sepia bleach without toner/ Jonathan Bailey

dean kansky (dkansky@hotmail.com)
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 14:00:09 -0800 (PST)

>If it is the yellowish color you find attractive I suggest you search the
>archive for the formulas I have posted over the past couple of years which
>utilize thiocarbimide rather than sodium sulfide as a redeveloper.

Dear Jonathan:
               I went back to the archives and found, I think, your post. Is
this one it?

"There are numerous formulas to be found (more or less similar), but I've
been using a formula listed in the back of Eddie Ephrams "Creative
Elements." It is is first mixed in two separate stock solutions:

Part A is a 10% solution (100 grams per liter) of Thiocarbimide (also
called Thiourea) mixed at 40* C.

Part B is 10% solution of Sodium Hydroxide mixed at 30*C.

To use this toner, first either completely or partially bleach the print in
a "standard" (ie Kodak Sepia Part A) Potassium Ferracynide/Potassium
Bromide bleach solution.

Wash the print for a couple minutes in running water and redevelop in a
working solution of the thiocarbimide.

Working solution ratios can be varied to effect significant color
differences.

Sol. A Sol. B Water Image color

10ml 50ml 500ml Purple-brown
50ml 10ml 500ml Yellow-brown

Varying the ratio between A and B will render shifts between those tonal
colors.

* PLease note that Sodium Hydroxide is nothing other than RED DEVIL brand
Lye, available in any grocery store"

Now, to get the yellow, the exact ratio is?

Thanks in advance,
                   Dean

P.S.: The archives are a mess for 98. The topics are not linked to the right
messages. I clicked on a few topics (e.g., gold toner) and was MIS-DIRECTED
to rant against the Post-Factory and another post about Terry King. It would
be nice if the archives were fixed. Also, do the soap opera posts need to be
on the web, when for space's sake the 94-96 archives have been done away
with.