Re: sepia bleach without toner

Liam Lawless (lawless@ic24.net)
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 23:28:17 +0000

Hi Sil,

You may be right that silver iodide is more sensitive to light than the
bromide, in which case I'd be grateful for more information (or sources).
But what you say is counter to my experience, and, I see in Cassell's
Cyclopaedia (Turneretscher's Table of Sensitivenesses, etc., p. 490), that
silver bromide was thought to be considerably more sensitive than iodide in
all circumstances (i.e. with excess of salt or silver, with/without ammonia
fuming). And, if iodide is more sensitive, why does it find no use in POP
emulsions, or only in tiny amounts in develop-out silver-gelatin emulsions?
While it was widely used in the very earliest silver processes, wasn't it
mostly replaced with bromide and/or chloride later on, because of their
greater sensitivity?

Liam