Re: why harden gelatin sizing?

FotoDave@aol.com
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:21:57 -0500 (EST)

> Yes, and I would also suggest that hardening the gelatin probably doesn't
> really protect it much, if at all, from attack by insects or microbes.

Wayde,

Why do you think so?

I think it protects not because I think the harderner has some anti-organism
function or because the gelatin will become really hard but for the simple
fact that it is harder to swell the gelatin, which means less ability to
absorb water, and insects or microorganism loves the moist area especially
moist food.

> And this brings up another question of mine, namely does this so-called
> hardening actually increase abrasion resistance or does it merely serve to
> strengthen the crosslinking in the wet gel making the wet film a bit
> tougher and less water soluble?

They are the same thing, isn't it? But I do agree the term "hardening" is not
a good one because the hardened gelatin or gum is not really "hard." You
could easily scratch a hardened film, carbon or gum print easily especially
when wet.

> It isn't clear to me that the dry gelatin
> film is greatly affected by this "hardening". Is that really true or just
> an assumption?

You know there isn't such a thing as dry gelatin. In fact, if all my prints
will stay in Michigan for the rest of their lives, then I probably wouldn't
worry too much about hardening since it is relatively dry here for most of
the year. But if they ever go to another wetter place --- let's just say I
move to a tropical country for discussion sake, assuming no one ever buy my
prints and get it to anywhere :) --- and the humidity itself could cause
the dry gelatin to absorb enough moisture. And that's exactly what happened
to my teacher's teacher's painting. It wasn't a new painting. It was a
painting given to him, already completed and dried for months!

Dave S