Re: Densitomiters

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 02:23:42 -0800

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Re: Densitomiters

> All of the following is my opinion, and supplied as an option.
> If you are either enough of a "control freak" that you just have
> to have to own a densitometer, or are truly doing the research
> that requires that level of precision: just ignore me ;-)
>
> Very few photographers need a densitometer. For most it either
> collects dust (an expensive dust collector) or becomes a
> habit/obsession that just burns up time (time you could be
> shooting and printing).

After my negs dry, once inside sleeves; I motivate over to the densitometer
and read all the B+F, D min and D max, then calculate the range and with
that info and my Ilford EM 10 clean the neg, place it in the carrier and
make
a relatively perfect, right on grade and timed first print.

Since using the Densitometer and showing 'first print poofs,' I have landed
two galleries and a hotel decorator with 82 rooms to fill.

Total use of paper to print 1:1.

Densitometer = good tool.

S. Shapiro