Re: Potassium oxalate

Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 12:19:56 -0500

At 1999/11/19 05:55 PM +0100, Witho wrote:
>Good evening from Holland,
>
>Just a few hours ago I tried to dissolve 250 gram of potassium oxalate in
>hot water to make 1 liter. But not all the oxalate dissolves. This is the
>first time I noticed and I doubt if this is normal. Is it ?

According to my records, this compound is very soluble, and 250g should
dissolve readily in 750g (approx 750ml) of distilled water. Are you using
distilled water? Tap water containing calcium will form a deposit, while
so-called "deionized" water contains sodium, and sodium oxalate is much
less soluble (1:27).

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@earthlink.net