Re: Soemarko's Direct Carbon (Soemarko's Process I)

FotoDave@aol.com
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 12:29:55 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/26/99 1:06:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net writes:

> With gelatin I had thought that it was difficult to remove the unexposed
> portions without a transfer because of a great amount of "flaking" of
> the exposed layer that would occur.

I think the reason is the gelatin makes the coating a little too thick, so it
is great for transfer process where the unexpose layer will be washed away
but difficult for direct carbon since the bottom layer is unexposed. One
could possibly try a weak percentage of gelatin for direct carbon, but that
might reduce its thickness so much that it does not have good enough
suspension capability of the pigment.

But I think the main thing is to know what one wants. In Luis's book, there
is an old method of adding saturated dichromate (or almost saturated sugar? I
forgot which now). I haven't tried it myself, but the purpose is to make the
gelatin not setting at room temperature so that coating is easier. I think if
the purpose is to achieve that, one should try fish glue, casein bichromate,
or just gum bichromate.

I guess what I am trying to say is one should not try to go through all the
trouble of making something works like another thing which already works
(like some artists use watercolor to try to achieve oil-painting look, why
don't use oil for the oil look?)

Dave S

Check out the Soemarko's Direct Carbon process at
http://hometown.aol.com/fotodave/SDC/SdcIndex.html