Re: What is Your Favorite Paper

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:14:39 -0500

Jonathan,

My favorite papers depend on whether I'm printing POP or develop-out
Pt/Pd prints, but Cranes 90# Cover, Arches Platine, and Rising Artists
Bristol 2-ply plate are the ones I use consistently. The Cranes is the
most easy and unfinicky and gives a nice range of effects depending on
treatment. Both sides are usable and have significantly different
texture. Platine is heavy and luxurious with deckle edges and gives a
very clean white, but seems quite finicky and variable. The Rising is
excellent for warm tones, is nice and stiff which helps for big prints,
is economical, features a very hard and smooth surface, but requires
brush coating and lots of sensitizer for good develop-out results. Works
fine with tube coating in POP.

Also, I've been testing other papers with Crane and Company--things they
already make for other purposes--to see if they offer good results for
Pt/Pd printing. I've found several that I really like including an
un-finicky very white paper that prints like Platine (but easier) though
it's lighter and lacks the deckle edge. Also a heavier two-ply version
of 90# cover which will do a better job on large prints. Within a few
months a supply line will be figured out and these papers will be
available directly from Crane through an e-commerce site. They'll be
welcome additions to platinum printers' choices.

---Carl